Osagyefo Barge: Police Begin Investigation Into Death Of Officer In Theft Case

The Ghana Police Service is investigating circumstances surrounding the death of a Marine Police Officer who is alleged to have taken his life at Osagyefo Power Barge, Effasu-Mangyea near Half Assini in the Jomoro Municipality of the Western Region.

Sergeant Mohammed Fusieni (with service number 37400) is said to have shot himself to death with his official AK47 Assault Rifle.

The incident happened on Sunday, March 24 about 8000 hours at the police bungalow at Effasu-Mangyea in the Municipality, where four officers were on duty at the Osagyefo Power Barge for protection.


The Jomoro District Police Commander, DSP Zenge Cyprian Macarty who confirmed the sad news said the late Sergeant Mohammed Fusieni after returning from duty to rest at the police bungalow at Effasu-Mangyea, sent his colleague whom he was on duty with, Lance Iddrisu Kafando Munturi (with service number 151484) to buy him a shaving blade.

According to the Police Commander, Lance Corporal Munturi only returned to find the late Sergeant Fusieni lying in a pool of blood with his AK47 Assault Rifle in the room.

He added that when they received the sad news they quickly called on the Crime Scene Management Team from Sekondi and Marine Police from Takoradi visited the scene with the Half Assini Police.

“We visited the scene to find the body lying in supine position in a pool of blood dead with the AK47 Assault Rifle beside his legs, he confirmed.

DSP Zenge also added they found a written note beside him which has his wife’s and two others phone numbers on it a short message.

The written note reads; “I cannot take this disgrace, something I don’t know”.

He revealed that the late Sergeant Mohammed Fusieni and Lance Corporal Iddrisu Kafando Munturi based at Marine Police Station at Aiyinasi in the Ellembelle District of the region.

The DSP said preliminary information available to the police does not reveal the deceased had any troubled history.

He added that they are investigating what may have led to the incident.

The body has since been deposited at the Police Hospital morgue for preservation and autopsy.

The late 45-year-old Sergeant Mohammed Fusieni left behind a wife and three children.

Cop who shot himself dead not linked to theft on Osagyefo Barge – Police

The police in the Western Region have denied reports that the officer who committed suicide was part of the four persons being investigated for theft at the Osagyefo Power Barge at Efassu near Half-Assini.

Reports emerged Monday that the deceased was one of the four persons recently accused of stealing cables, fridges and other valuables from the Barge, but the Police say that cannot be accurate.

Western Regional Police Public Relations officer, DSP Olivia Ewurabena Adiku, told 3news.com that it is unclear what caused Sgt Mohammed to take his life as she ruled out reports that he was being investigated for theft.

“Those who were involved [in the theft] are currently on interdiction,” she said, noting that “he [Sgt Mohammed] is not part of those who were involved in that stealing at the Osagye Barge”.

She grounded her statement on the fact that once an officer is interdicted, “you hand over all your police accoutrement; you don’t go to work because we are investigating your case and sometimes the idea is that when you’re post you might interfere with investigations”

DSP Adiku said if Sgt Mohammed was a part of the officers in the theft case, which is now before the Attorney General’s officer, he would not have been assigned to go on duty on Sunday.

“As at now we don’t really know what made him take his life. Police is investigating that aspect,” she told 3news.com.