The Kantanka Automobile company is well-known for having “wowed” the world with productions feats that would other seem herculean for Ghana, a country where engineering and manufacturing are virtually non-feasible. But very little is known about the “Kantanka Group” and NAIJweb, today, will throw more light about the company and the people at the helm of it.
1. The family business started 20 years ago. The Kantanka Group started in 1986 with the repair and making of electrical devices from TVs and sound systems to musical instruments and sewing machines.
2. Apostle Dr. Kwadwo Safo Kantanka is the founder of Kristo Asafo, chairman of Kantanka Group of companies and a trained welder.
3. Much of the materials used to make the cars are locally acquired. The company utilizes a lot of local material in production in a bid to reduce import charges. “We need to be able to produce at a more affordable rate. There are high import charges in Ghana,” Kantanka Jr told CNN in an interview.
4. Ghana’s police conducted tests on the vehicles. The Ghana Police service were the first public institution to check the cars to prove that the company’s “made-in-Ghana” cars could withstand the harsh terrain and nature of the country.
5. The company makes over 1000 cars monthly. The manufacturing and assembling plant produces close to 1000 unit of cars per month.
6. The company’s CEO is the 32-year-old son of its founder. At the helm of the company is Kwadwo Safo Jr., who had earlier trained in London as a pilot before returning to Ghana to take charge of the Kantanka Group.
8. The dream is to build sports, commercial cars and buses in future. Kwadwo Safo Jr. is confident that Kantanka will grow as a company. “We have a plan to build sports cars, buses and really expand in Africa with more models,”.
SUBSCRIBE TO WATCH NEW VIDEOS EVERYDAY